Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Summer: art shows, rain, and gardening

After a late spring, punctuated by 8" of snow in May, we are cautiously optimistic that warm weather is here. I try to divide my time between the studio and the garden. I've added a couple of raised beds to the greenhouse and existing beds, and hope to plant beans tomorrow. I know my southern cousins are already harvesting their beans, but we had frost until just a couple of weeks ago, and the soil just hasn't been warm enough to foster good germination. Iris and lilacs are blooming, and there are buds on the poppies.

When it gets too hot outside I venture into the coolness of the studio and pick up my tools. I have been playing in encaustics this year, and enjoying the results. Encaustics is basically painting with melted beeswax and pigment. I'm also playing in acrylics, as always.

It's the summer show season, so I have been busily delivering work, attending receptions, and picking up unsold work when the shows come down. So far I've been in shows all up and down the front range. It gets a little crazy, but I feel that the recognition is important and can lead to more gallery representation. It's all good!

Here's a new piece, as yet untitled. Let me know what you see, or if a title comes to mind.

:

No comments: